Highlights of the new information about Gumbo include the following:
Themes of the Release
Gumbo is being planned around three primary themes:
- Design in Mind
A framework for continuous collaboration between designer and developer.
- Developer Productivity
Improve compiler performance and add productivity enhancements.
- Framework Evolution
Take advantage of the new Flash Player capabilities and add features required by common use-cases.
- Matt Chotin provides a recorded preso outlining our plans for the next version of the Flex SDK (Gumbo)
- Ely Greenfield provides a video demo on Designer/Developer Workflow.
See how you will be able to leverage the new Gumbo technology to start with a basic list and transform it into visually interesting, interactive, data-driven content – all without writing a single line of code.
White Paper: An Introduction to the Gumbo Component Architecture
This white paper provides a comprehensive look into our plans for the next version of Flex.
Gumbo Feature Specifications
Read, and comment on, the recently published specifications for Gumbo. Currently, there are eight specs available, with more on the way.
Summary Version of Gumbo Themes
Here is a summary version of the themes of Gumbo, the next version of Flex. Details of these Gumbo themes and other plans for the next version of Flex can be found on the Gumbo page of the Flex Open Source site.ﾠ
Design in Mind
A framework for continuous collaboration between designer and developer. We’re planning the following:
- A framework designed for continuous collaboration between designer and developer.
- Building out the MXML language to provide more toolability.
- Creating a format that describes vector graphics in XML that closely matches what Flash Player is doing.
- A new component and skinning architecture that will allow easy “skinnability” of components.
- Improvements in experience-oriented features such as states, effects, and layouts.
Improve compiler performance and add productivity enhancements. New builds are showing compiler performance improvements. Gumbo will add the following:
- Two way data binding
- Automation support for Flex components in AIR
- CSS improvements
Take advantage of the new Flash Player capabilities and add features required by common use-cases:
- New text features available from Flash Player 10
- Bi-directional and vertical text.
- New, nicely skinnable video component